Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Monday the 15th continued

We went out to lunch before we went to get the other children. Gretchen bought 4 outfits at Bethany, 2 dresses, 2 pant sets. 17 people, and 2 babies for lunch. While we were coming in we saw guests with whole fish on their plates, eyes, tails and all, fried like chicken. Another man had a bowl of something that was still boiling. I ordered Chicken Cordon Bleu. Gretchen had sizzling beef strips and Bill sizzling chicken strips. We split up from the others when they went to get their kids. We then went to the transitional home Shalom and had another coffee ceremony, this time they cooked inside and we had yeast rolls, (dry no butter) and roasted barley seasoned with something, coffee, sugar and cream. They kept offering and we had to accept or it would be rude. I didn't count the scoops this time but remember a 8-10 cup pot (US size) before had 12 scoops of coffee in it. It was really good. Of course I let mine cool off, I don't even like hot soup or cocoa. They presented both Yohanna and Elliott with a traditional outfits. Elliott's had green ribbons, Yohanna's had Ethiopia written on it. Red, green, blue, yellow, and black, the o was a heart.

We played with babies/children named Yoseph and Danielle. Deborah finally smiled in a nanny's arms. Immanuel on the other hand acted rather sad and reserved but he finally did smile while in a nanny's arms too. One beautiful girl was named Addis (like the city). Bill played with the big kids, thumb wrestling, tickle monster, etc. The little girl who played with Bill cried when we left.

We went back to the guest house and met the couple from Texas. They are adopting a little 18 month old boy Nathan. They will meet him today at 6:00pm, first time.
He did well for a short time and then had a melt down. I would too, new place, strange people, stranger language.

Several of us walked to the market. It's an amazing place, everything from baby lotion to fresh meat, batteries to toasters, soda to beer. The milk comes in plastic sacks. They have every kind of water, wine, juice, and St. George beer. You have to pay a deposit on the bottles. It's 3 times what it would be if you don't have a bottle to exchange. You are checked out when you enter the store and when you exit. I got candy. A little boy followed us back to the guest house trying to sell gum. He called us "Mother". Elizabeth says she will buy him shoes tomorrow.

There was a guy trying to sell a pale yellow lab puppy, so cute, FLEES, for 40 birr, about $3. I wonder what ever happened to it.

We decided to have fries and cheeseburgers. Yonathan came and said they had no gas. So Gretchen and Bill had Ethiopian food with the NC Family. Yonathan found a restaurant for Gretta, Giorgio, and Frederico. I didn't have supper. Everyone went to bed. I decided to go down stairs and wait for sleep there instead of laying on the bed waiting. The girls were setting the table for breakfast. I commented on her pretty scarf and she showed me how to fix it the way she had hers.

I asked if they could do my hair like their. So they cornrowed it. It took about 15 minutes to do and there were 10-12 rows. They loved it and thought it looked beautiful. I think it was because I wanted to look like them. It was ok. I left it in for a day. It kind of gave me a headache. They were disappointed that I took it out. The wouldn't accept payment so I went up stairs and brought down a purple shirt and a purple jacket that I had decided to leave there. One of the girls fav. colors was purple.

At the restaurant a few days ago I went into the bathroom. It was full and I waited and the orderly made the Ethiopian woman in the stall come out so I could go in. I tried to tell them it was ok but they insisted I go. I felt very embarrassed and hurried as quickly as I could.

The van/bus cost is spit among all the families. For us it is about 600 birr per day or $23.08 for around town, no matter how long we are out 5 hours or 10 hours.
1200 per day for the long trip to Awasa, over $90 but not $100.

Someone reported that all 48 states had snow this last week.

Page 108 out of 148

No comments:

Post a Comment