Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 16, 2010

More about Friday Feb. 12th

The donations were given out, and every time something came out of a suitcase the nannies cheered and clapped. Formula, diapers, meds ex. Tylenol, Oragel. When the donations were all opened, they asked Terri to pray over them. Then the manager prayed. It was almost time to go. The found the towel that Yohanna had been brought to the orphanage in and gave it to Gretchen and Bill. It stinks. I really expected a raggedy old towel, but it was large, one that you would wrap a baby in after the bath with the little hood in one corner. Emily got Elliott's clothing too.

This was the hardest part of the trip, the prayers really got to me and then walking back through the house and had to leave all those kids behind. I cried for about 10 minutes. It was soooooooo
sad to watch the gates close. Everyone was quite for most of the trip back to the hotel. We checked in. The rooms were very weird, triangle shaped. It was hard to get the door unlocked, the floor assistant even had trouble. A few minutes after getting into my room there was a knock on the door and in came an assistant to plug in the TV and turn on the lights. Later I went down to G and B's room. They said mine had the best view of the lake, well I couldn't see much. Their room was the tin roofed village. I think they were both very interesting to look out of . No screens and no air conditioning. Emily and Terri's room had a mosquito net hanging over the bed but there was none in our rooms.

We went down for supper, Gretchen had stuffed chicken, Bill, steak with mushroom sauce, cold Cokes and cold Mirinda (Orange soda). I ordered grilled lamb chops, I expected them to be grilled like pork chops but they were covered in some kind of sauce that wasn't listed. I tried one bite I never did finish chewing, I finally just swallowed. Mahi said that I didn't have to accept it so she sent it back. Then I ordered Chicken/ Mushroom soup, thinking it was safe but it was just as bad as the chops. So I ate bread. There was always bread on the table. We weren't able to eat anything fresh because it was probably washed with contaminated water. When we got home the first time we went out we went to a salad bar, nothing ever tasted so good. We asked for soup instead of salad but they wouldn't switch. I tried a tiny bite it was very spicy, I wouldn't have liked it anyway. We talked and laughed at the restaurant, the patrons thought we were weird.

We made plans for 8:00am and breakfast in the dinning room. Then to the fish market and the Hippo Boat Ride. Lunch and then to were Elliott and Yohanna were found. I hope tonight we all sleep better. I slept maybe 3 or 4 hours the last 2 nights. The beds are hard and king size. I decided to take my shower and write in my journal, there was a banana there in the room so I had it, I decided it was safe to eat, no rinsing. The shower was cold, each room had it's own water heater and they had to be turned on, of course no one told us that. There was a Nicholas Cage movie on in English with Amheric subtitles. Next to the toilet in the bathroom is a phone and a ba-day (sp), true connivance. Actually it was like a hose next to the toilet, I suppose that is what it was used for. Even if we can't seem to call out to home. Here at least we can get on facebook and post things. I think the people at the orphanage were WONDERFUL. They truly enjoyed the pictures Gretchen brought from other families who had been there months earlier and taken children home. Everyone was so nice. Many were shy but very respectful. The boys were told to stand when we entered a room.

Awasa is the second largest city in Ethiopia. It's a good thing we got out of DC on Monday. They got 6 more inches of snow on top of the 36 on the ground. The next flight to Addis was suppose to be Wednesday and it was cancelled. The next flight out of DC would have been tomorrow, Saturday the 13th. The USO would have gotten old if we had been there from Mon-Sat. I wonder how we will get back. They say that there was snow is 49 out of the 50 states this week.
The south is getting more snow and it is heading north.


No comments:

Post a Comment