Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Airports/ USO/ Rummy/ Waiting............

Feb. 6th-It's 7:ooam and I've been up for a few hours. Bill wanted to get to the airport early. We picked up Seth so he could take the van home. Dragged in our suitcases, they actually didn't charge us for them. Amazing. I expected to pay at least $20 a bag. I'm sure we paid for it some where. . The 3 kids are home with Grandpa. They were suppose to go to play cards. Uncle Seth is going to stay the night and be there to help with the Super Bowl Party. Bill is on his laptop and Gretchen is laying down resting. We went through security and they checked my backpack twice. All over a silly four pack of bubble gum. Bill got patted down. Gretchen says she is flying with a bunch of criminals. Gretchen is laying down resting and Bill is on the computer.
12:20The flight to Chicago was sooooooo short. Gretchen fell asleep, she thought it was a long time but I think we just got up in the air and the captain told us we were landing. I never walked so much in my life. I think we saw every inch of O'Hare. When we got to Chicago all the DC flights were canceled. The first flight out was at 6am on Monday. Trying to get to DC a different way, your mom is in tears. I just took care of the bags, helpless. It's a good thing your dad has a level head.
1:45pm We went to the USO and had lunch turkey and cheese sandwich, pretzels and water. I am including everything we ate because just a few weeks ago I found my mom's journal when she went to Russia for a mission trip, she was just like her mom and included everything they ate so I thought I should too. We played Rummy to 500, I don't remember the last time I got to play Rummy, remember the Hart's play Hearts. Bill won. Waiting till 4 so we can to talk to Turkish Air to try to get to Ethiopia. B and G had pizza.
4:45 pm back to the USO. No flights to DC till Monday. Hopefully we will fly out to Columbus tomorrow morning and then to DC and on to Ethiopia. Our bags are locked up they won't let us have them even though we are in Chicago and they are too. They gave is a 50% off coupon for a hotel. Maybe our bags will get to DC maybe not. We have been to United, Ethiopian Air and Turkish Air they are all suppose to work together but no one wants to take the reins and let us change our tickets. Actually Ethiopian doesn't want to give up the cost of the tickets. They say they have a alliance but no one will give an inch. Right now DC has 36 inches of show and are suppose to get 6 more. Who knows if we get to DC if we will be able to get out of there. They say that a hanger collapsed. I met a lady from Germany that had spent 36 hours in Chicago and wasn't sure when she would get out. She had shared a hotel room with a stranger who was standing in line with her. She hoped she would get out tomorrow, going through England. The other girl has no money and who knows when she will get to fly out. At least we have a place to go tonight. We were able to take the tram to the hotel and have a shower. So much for today. Pray for tomorrow and that the flights will go as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment