Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Still on Thursday, I told you it was a memorable day.

Gretchen related this story to Bill and I. She went to the bathroom while we were at the Golf Course yesterday. When she went into the lavatory an Ethiopian lady said " You no want to go in there" and fanned her hand in front of her nose. She was embarrassed by the smell. Gretchen said " No that's ok." Reply, " No 5 minutes". Gretchen went in anyway. When she came back to the sink area, they stopped washing their hands and insisted that Gretchen go 1st. That's the way it was at every place I went too, they always let me go first no matter now I insisted that it was ok.

I was surprised not to see more handicapped people here. That seems to be what you see on tv. Remember there are many misconceptions about Africa and I can tell you that they are untrue. I have only seen 4 or 5 people walking with crutches. Just like the US. A club foot, only one woman, a double amputee, and one gentleman with a very, very, very bad looking stump. I was so sad looking at him sitting in the dirt. What kind of a life must he lead? Does he get any medical help? Will he eat tonight? We aren't really suppose to take pictures of people unless you ask but I have taken a few from a distance, the school children at the museum. Other kids at the lion cage. The kids that were there had on everything from party dresses with petty coats, to shirts and ties to shorts and tank tops with two shoes that don't match. And I was worried about what the mother of the groom wears to the bridal shower. It's cold here for the Ethiopian People, because of the rain they have been having. I am comfortable in short sleeves and Capri's or a skirt with no hose. Bur our guide had on a long sleeve tee shirt and an insulated vest. But then again I have seen a lot of flip flops. That's what gets cold on me first, my feet. I have also seen several winter coats and heavy sweaters. We had dessert after our meal today but Abel says usually they just have coffee. Of course it is probably strong enough to cut with a knife and if you add enough sugar it's like candy. It is so much fun to share our culture with them. The restaurants that we ate at the last two days have been "American". Though I think that I may go to Ethiopia just to show them how to really cook "American". Abel wanted to know of any of the food on the menu was from our area. Yonatan asked what the US was known for. I said I guess hot dogs and apple pie. Yonatan ate the rest of Bill's pizza last night and said it was good "for American food"

They must marry here later than I thought, another misconception. Abel is 30 and engaged but no plans for a wedding yet. We asked Phillipe if he was married and he shook his head and said,"I'm only 25." I know that's only two examples. Bill was married at 23, I think. Seth is 25 and the wedding is June 5th.

Last image for this entry. While we were stopped at one of two stop lights in the city, a guy hoisted himself up over the curb on his crutches, walked towards the wall and peed. OM Goodness. At least here we pick a back road. Oh yeah I guess there are no back roads in a city of 5 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment